Saturday, February 5, 2011

新年快樂,恭喜發財!!! Happpppppy Year of the Rabbit!!!

For those of you who are kinda sorta familiar with Chinese New Years tradition you skip this blurp...

You have to cut your hair before the New Years otherwise if you cut it after then you cut your luck short... something like that... others who are more informed feel free to correct =)

So as you can see I chopped off my long locks for a long a line bob... here... I'll show you the cut from the side.
that's my stylist Vicky... i ♥ her
 Well anyways if you're wondering about the switch in color, I decided to go red for the New Years... but only after a couple of showers its already started to wash out to pink... bleh... you know how much I like that color... oh well... I guess I'll go back to blue after the red washes out.

It's not that you can't ever cut your hair after New Years I think the unofficial date is probably the Lantern Festival... you'll read about it below...

Just thought I'd give everyone a visual update on me =)



So this was my first Lunar New Years in an Asian country. Usually back in Cali we go to my Grandmas or aunties house in the city to have dinner and all the adults hand out the red envelopes and all the kids will give their blessing for each red envelope. 

Here the entire family and me met up at Grandma’s house to hang out and then we all headed up to Keelung to go to the Evergreen restaurant. (apparently 陳家 go to this restaurant every year for New Years).

It was pretty effin delicious… had hella courses... man I really hope that shark fin was fake...

Afterwards we all came back to grandmas to hang out till midnight. As per tradition everyone stays up till midnight. It’s believed the longer the kids stay up the longer the parents will live. My cousin said that people used to stay up all night but now it's just till midnight.

At midnight we set off some fire crackers to ward of this evil spirit monster thing… yeah, my cousin gave NO warning before lighting the firecracker… thus scaring effin bajeebus outta me… everyone laughed at me and then one by one we figured out the ride situation and made our departures from Grandmas…

All the red envelopes you receive for new years should be put under your pillow until the Lantern Festival.  The Lantern Festival happens mid February and it marks the end of New Year’s festivities. 

On the second day or the Lunar calendar all married women are to return to their parents house for dinner (I think it's because most times New Years is spent with the husbands family so the 2nd is given to the wife's family)

So that was my New Years here in Taiwan. I spent most of the time happily sitting amongst my family listening them talk and watching TV.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun. 新年快樂!萬事如意! =o)

    ReplyDelete

So, This is me...

My photo
I love my family, my friends, food, music, books, and chocolate... that's pretty much it! ♥