Sunday, July 18, 2010

aaacccck..... life!

MY BAAAAAAAAAAAD I meant to write sooner but I've been kept super busy by well... life. We just went to Jinshan (Gold Mt.) to visit with my moms college classmates. It was great! One of them had built his "retirement" house up there and has direct access to a hot spring and has it piped to his house!!! We ended up spending the night up there but are now back in BaDu.

At the moment we're trying to line my ducks up in a row... things aren't set in stone and that's making me a little anxious but what can I do, ya know?

Here's the situation right now...

I got my Letter of Clearance authenticated by the SF Taiwan Consulate =) yay... My blood work came back from the hospital and I'm missing some shots (something weird like German measles or something) which I got yesterday. =) Today I pick up the medical clearance.

We dropped off my papers at the immigration office and I should get a call in about a week stating whether or not I've been approved for residency. Once its approved I begin my mandatory 365 days in Taiwan. Once I finish the calendar year I submit my papers for citizenship. =)

As far as housing goes I'll be living with a woman who's a relative of my mom's best friend (complicated huh?). Well the place is pretty cool. I get my own room and bathroom, and the living room and kitchen are shared spaces. The neighborhood is supposed to be one of the most coveted places to stay at. It's centrally located, its near all the night hot spots (where those are, I have no idea), there are a lot of buses, and its pretty close to my Uncle Vincent and Auntie Amy's offices. Tomorrow I sign a 4 month contract!


Letseeeee exactly what will I be doin???.....
It seems like the only thing to do for people in my position is to teach [English] or to be taught [Mandarin].... apparently I'm doing both.

uggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh... we all know that I don't really want to do either... but I can't make it here without money and I can't get any other job without speaking Chinese... so what else is there for me to do while I'm learning the language.
I'm currently filling out my application for Hess which is an English learning center for kids that range from elementary to Jr.
High So I need to get my resume together for that.

I'm also trying to get into the Mandarin Training Center National Taiwan Normal University...(long ass name huh???).... well apparently its rated as one of the top 5 universities in Taiwan to study Mandarin.


As far as how I've been feeling??? Nervous and anxious and anticipating a complete break down once my mom and sister leave.
I came here to find out exactly what I want to do, while in the process get to know the language and my family over here. The other day my mom and I went to my Uncle Vincents. When I sat down in his office with no reservation or hesitation he had asked me what I wanted to do while I was here and where will I be in three years. I have no idea.
My Uncle Vincent can be pretty intimidating and its not that he's scary or anything but he has such a strong sense of self, such a clear of vision of what he's here to do that it kinda makes me feel so unprepared for life.

You know how companies have board of directors??? Well I've got my own: Uncle Vincent and his wife, cousins Soo Ching and Soo Young, Uncle Henry and his wife, and my Auntie Amy... (there a lot of other people here to help me out and I'm so grateful to have all these people in my life.)

My board of directors have helped me decide what my first step should be: as it stands I will be going to school and teaching English and though they don't top my list of things to do I know its whats best


I am so grateful and overwhelmed by my family's generosity, it just amazes me everyday.

Once I get settled and my mom and Rita leave I'm suppose to check in with one of my family members once a week. I think they want to check on my progress and make sure I'm not starving or any thing. On the weekends I'm suppose to make my way back out to BaDu to have dinner with my Great Aunt. =)

Yay! things are coming together and even though I'm scared about my mom leaving me I'm really excited...and I think I'm ready to rise to the occasion... and meet my future.

thanks for reading ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, This is me...

My photo
I love my family, my friends, food, music, books, and chocolate... that's pretty much it! ♥